Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cookies and Cream Cheesecake, Coffee Bean (Singapore)

Yet more compelling evidence to stack onto Singapore's side in the eternal rivalry that is Malaysia vs. Singapore, in addition to super efficient infrastructure (I am so jealous everytime I get on the Singapore MRT, because I deal on a daily basis with the giant brainfart of an idea that is the Malaysian LRT), impressively manicured landscapes (I realize I am totally weird for coveting this, but whenever there's green in Singapore it's cultivated, clipped, garden green, which really appeals to my Type A side, and is in stark contrast to Malaysia's more laissez faire attitude to gardening), significantly lower crime rates (my taxi driver who has not ventured into Malaysia for 20 years for fear of being carjacked reaffirmed this fact for me, and everyone knows taxi drivers are always right), totally and thoroughly masterplanned city (that I am also in awe of, as Singapore has now become like a real-life Sim City which I used to really like because I could play God and design entire cities; I tried to graduate to the Sims, but generally people are less easy to control than cities, and thus have lower appeal. Which now makes me wonder if I didn't really want to be God so much as a dictatorial town planner), and generally awesome robotic nature: cookies and cream cheesecake that I found in Coffee Bean in Singapore that, as far as I know, is NOT available in Malaysia.


It looks speckly and freckly and is not the most photogenic cake around, but in absence of Malaysian boyfriend I turned to Singaporean cake and eclairs and waffles. Yes, I am unfaithful and a fatty and much to my dismay suffer from separation anxiety upon being separated from said Malaysian boyfriend. Even more to my dismay, evidently I fill up that empty void in my heart with sugar.

Going back to KL tomorrow, thank goodness. Malaysia has one giant pro going for it that will keep it trumping Singapore every time: it's home and my life is there. Also this damn exchange rate is bleeding me dry.