Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Nasi Lemak; Kampong Baru

I have decided that it is my calling to embark on a Holy Mission. It is the Mission to Find the Best Food in KL. And it began two weeks ago, with a visit to Kampong Baru, which apparently (and by apparently I mean, goosey says) has or had the best nasi lemak in KL.

I’m always very wary of places that boast the best of anything. It might be the contrarian in me or the economist’s need to back everything up with evidence or numbers or cold hard facts but really, you can’t just go around definitively claiming things unless it’s definitively proven. Major digression and for example: there’s this sign near the Curve that advertises Desa Park City as “the best place to live in KL. Undisputedly.” All this sign makes me want to do is, not move to Desa Park City as the point of the giant ad obviously is, but shrilly dispute this damn claim. Where is the evidence backing up this indisputable statement? Resident survey, comparative living standards chart vs. other areas in KL, definition of “best”? If you’re not going to at least ATTEMPT to make the statement indisputable, then do not order me to not dispute it. It infuriates me, insults my intelligence, and makes my blood boil, all in one go, every single time I pass by it. And then I have to take a time out and realize dude you are getting worked up about a silly poster and then I play some pop music to calm down but then I drive past it another day and get worked up all over again.

ANYWAY. As I was saying, this place apparently has or had the best nasi lemak in KL so like a gastronomic mythbuster, I went to try it out.





So. Myth busted. Chicken is dry, nasi not lemak enough, not enough peanuts and ikan bilis; not bad, but, one would hope, not the best. Well that was fast.



[Right about now, I'd really like to do this thing that I am famous for doing. It's really very helpful when one wants to avoid awkward moments and momentary hiccups of any unpleasant emotion, so I will outline it for your benefit. Firstly, something happens that invokes some kind of displeasure directed at you from a third party in your life. For example, this may be: a) working too much and being an antisocial hermit who neglects family and/or friends, but may also be b) getting into an argument with no foreseeable resolution. For example, and I’m just saying.

You then avoid all Emotional Elephants In The Room and act like everything is a-okay. To do this you do not address the source of displeasurable emotion directed at you, but pretend nothing happened. For example, I’m pretending I did not just neglect this blog for about two weeks. This is a totally roundabout way of saying I am aware that I have been totally MIA and am sorry. Work has been consuming almost all my waking hours during the weekday, and on the weekends I am busy recovering from the weekdays. But I am now pretending that everything is okay by actively not addressing this issue. Wait. Dammit!]