Yes people, it is sadly and shockingly true: I am a product of one of those families that did not (still DOES not, actually) stock fizzy drinks in the refrigerator. And growing up, I was never allowed to order Coke or any carbonated variation thereof whenever we ate out at restaurants. Even though I crave sugar like crack and this craving started when I was still a wee tyke.
As a result of this fizzy drink prohibition, I grew up intensely jealous of people who got to drink Coke and have ice cream floats whenever they wanted. Ice Cream Float Nights became much anticipated and awaited rare celebratory events (wait, you think I'm being hyperbolic? I'm not. We used ice cream floats to toast joyous and special occasions. Like New Year's Eve) whenever my mom DID buy a liter of Coke that was to be shared between four sugar-deprived siblings, none of whom really wanted to share this coveted elixir of joy.
But now I'm an adult and can drink Coke whenever I want! Yes! Independence! Freedom! Fizzy!

And now it is my little brother who laments the fact that he can't drink Coke whenever he wants, forcing him to question the injustice within the parental system. I sympathize, but ultimately: too bad, buddy.
You can look forward to the Freedom of the Fizzy when YOU become an adult and join me in the adult world (please take your time, I like you as a kid). We'll toast your adulthood with a Coke ice cream float.