
Sadly, neither the savoury courses nor the desserts were particularly remarkable (I don't even remember what I took a picture of but if I were to hazard a guess I'd say... coffee something, strawberry something, chocolate something, and mango something) but at least I had something to stuff into my mouth whenever the microphone was passed to me.
Even more sadly, I was eventually forced to sing. To Mariah Carey and Leona Lewis and Beyonce and Celine Dion songs. Yes, cruel coworkers, its not like those singers have ridiculously flexible voices and can hit ridiculous notes that I of the bullfrog singing voice cannot reach or anything. Luckily, most people I work with sound like bullfrogs (okay so I am mainly referring to the men, which just makes the fact that I sing like a bullfrog all the more stranger because I apparently have a high speaking voice... the point is I was not alone in my dissonant state) so the room sounded like a cacophonous tone deaf choir for about two hours last Thursday. A tone deaf choir with an affinity for the Carpenters and long deceased Chinese singers (my colleagues are old... and mostly Chinese) and the Spice Girls (I may have been the sole 80's baby in the room but I was the also the one holding the remote control).