Thursday, June 26, 2008

Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake; Junior's Most Fabulous Cheesecake & Desserts, Times Square, New York

After Serendipity 3 I suffered cheesecake dreams, which were also interspersed with dreams featuring other foods, the most notable and heartrending of which were my McDonalds dreams in which I'd order a double cheeseburger McValue meal only to WAKE UP the moment I sat down and put the burger to my lips (I tend to speak in hyperbole, but I had this dream three times in a ROW, no joke; and woke up highly pissed off and hungry each time).

As a result I could not stop talking about cheesecake, and in an effort to shut me up and save his sanity, Danny took me to the place that boasts the best cheesecake in New York. While this proclamation is not quite on the same level as the Italian restaurant that boasts having "the best cannolis on planet Earth" (so Rest of Universe, if you want to compete cannoli-wise, game on: please contact the cannoli place in Little Italy), it was still pretty cocky.

Each bite was like being slapped in the face, albeit gently, with cream, cheese and calories. I am undecided on whether this is an insult or a compliment because I am undecided on whether a cake should make you feel so guilty when you eat it that you can't enjoy it properly. Because that also means it's tempting and forbidden, which increases its desirability. But this cheesecake was not just fat-inducing, it even physically looks Rubenesque.

Case and point: