As a hopeless romantic (seriously: hopeless, because I actually have tried to be logical and boring about these things, but to no avail; such is the extent of the brainwashing afflicted on my malleable mind by the Disney corporation and their princesses and respective true loves) I've been wondering what My Engagement would be like since I found out engagements existed, and really all for the story, because it becomes a part of your relationship and marriage. It's the story I'm going to tell my kids and grandkids, how carefully Ayah/Atok planned to get Umi/Baba to marry him, how Umi/Baba said yes and almost threw away the ring because she didn't see it, how Ayah/Atok didn't reallyyyy cry but no matter, everyone knows he was crying on the inside (don't try to deny it, I know it's true Goosey).
So. I got proposed to in Paris, on the Pont des Arts bridge on the river Seine, amidst padlocks attached onto the bridge by lovers and families all over the world, with the Notre Dame in front of us, and a lit up Eiffel Tower behind us, drinking from plastic champagne flutes (no champagne but hey! Style is about the clinking of flutes, albeit plastic ones, is it not) and Bon Iver playing on the iPad 2. We were about to affix a padlock on the bridge, with our names and date on it; he was all you know this is a big commitment, right, this means we have to get married; I was all, yeah yeah I know; he was all no, seriously; I was all are you serious; he was all will you make me the happiest man alive, but the irony is right then I was the happiest girl alive. Then I cried (I maintain, however, that he cried on the inside) and was too choked up to articulate the word "yes" so had to nod to indicate agreement (this is interesting because of the verbosity to which I am usually prone) and then we put the padlock on the bridge, the ring from the keychain on my finger, and then went to pee because the combination of the excitement and the plastic champagne flutes was just too much for me to handle. And then of course, we went to celebrate. By ourselves. Because we really don't need anybody else to have fun. So although I LOVE our engagement story, and I LOVE the beautiful ring, and I LOVE the fact that Goosey cried on the inside after he proposed, the BEST THING OF ALL is that I am going to marry my best friend in the entire world, and life is going to be such a fun adventure, because it always is when we're together, and now we're going to be together for the rest of our lives.
Andddd that's the story I'm going to tell my kids. At which point in time I am sure their primary question is going to be "What the hell is an iPad 2?"