Even more strangely, is that for some reason this year, I've had even MORE people after that incident tell me that I have great skin and asking me what products I use (resulting in me expressing multiple declarations of love for said people), which has lead me to conclude that whatever skincare regimen I'm following right now: it's working. I mean, it's either that or I'm influencing or intimidating people in such a way that they feel the need to feed me unsolicited compliments.
Lest you think this is a #humblebrag, let me assure you that it is really not because I have NEVER, EVER been known for having good skin. When I was growing up I had terrible acne and oily skin that reduced me to emotional adolescent tears every time I looked in the mirror. Can you imagine being a pimply little pre-teen who matured early, in a class full of immature pre-pubescent boys who at that time wouldn't know a pimple if it hit them in the face? Cause if you can't imagine it, I can tell you: little boys are mean, man. And none of my sisters ever had a serious case of the teenage zits, so I really got the short end of the gene stick on that one. And then I went to university in the middle of a frozen tundra, and promptly developed dry and flaky skin from the seriously cold weather. And to make matters worse, since I have big eyes, I also have big eyebags (seriously: please see Anne Hathaway for proof. Big eyes = big eyebags, it is a curse). (Someone ALSO once told me I look like Anne Hathaway. That dude was OBVIOUSLY lying and/or trying to get into my pants, so I did NOT tell him I loved him. My own husband who has regular access into my pants does not even say I look like Anne Hathaway.)
So all the praise must go to my skincare regimen (which makes me think of little soldiers fighting for the state of my skin - we declare war on wrinkles and dull skin!), which is a hodge-podge cocktail of various products that I've either read good reviews about, or randomly picked up off the shelf and for some reason never stopped using. Thank you, my little skin soldiers, who are, in order of use:
Morning:
1. Facewash: Neutrogena Deep Clean cleanser
Started using this because it was right next to the Neutrogena makeup remover at Guardian and I was too lazy to look for the face wash I was using at the time (Nivea one that I was not particularly attached to). I like this because it doesn't foam too much, and it isn't drying.
2. Toner: Clinique Clarifying Lotion
I picked this up off the shelf during a random Sephora run and was totally shocked at how effective it was (i.e. how much dirt/dead skin cells it seemed to pick up). Also, comes in a giant pink bottle with a green cap, which are my sorority's unofficial colours.
3. Eye cream: Kiehl's Line-Reducing Eye-Brightening Concentrate
I tend to be wary of products that seem to promise too much, and this is supposed to be line-reducing AND eye-brightening?! But I think it works?
4. Face cream: Kiehl's Powerful-Strength Line-Reducing Concentrate
Same as previous product: I think this works?
5. Moisturizer: Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturing Gel
I think this works (note lack of question marks). When you have terribly schizophrenic combination skin, you WILL notice whether your moisturizer works or not.
6. Primer (if I plan to use make-up for a full day): Make Up For Ever UV Prime SPF50
I don't remember how I got sold onto primer in the first place because I used to (a) not be aware of its existence, and then later on (b) considered it a wholly unnecessary step in one's make-up routine. I think it was the SPF50 that sold me onto this - I mean whether or not this is really helping my make-up stay on, at least I'm protected from the sun.
Night:
1. Make-up remover: Neutrogena oil-free make-up remover
Amazing, takes everything off. Although I find removing make-up a huge ass pain in the butt, I still do all these steps every single night without fail, no matter what kind of state of exhaustion or otherwise that I find myself in at the end of the night.
2. Facewash: Neutrogena Deep Clean cleanser
Described above.3. Toner: Clinique Clarifying Lotion
Described above.4. Eye cream: Kiehl's Midnight Recovery eye cream
I think this works?
5. Face cream: Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair
Really like this - it's not too gooey or sticky or oily or smelly. And of course it could totally be my imagination but I think it makes my skin look dewy.
6. Moisturizer: Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturing Gel
Described above.Other:
1. Caudalie Grape Water
I use this when I travel, because I get worried to the point of paranoia about my face drying out during long-haul flights on airplanes. I still don't really know if this works or not, but I guess it feels good to have water spritzed onto your face?
2. Kiehl's Rare Earth Deep Pore Cleansing Masque
Was a gift from my sister, who, before she started working for EY and becomes weirdly animated when she talks about tax structuring, was a housewife who worked part-time at Kiehl's. The tub she got me is a limited edition Mark Ruffalo version (he of the Incredible Hulk and childhood bestie from 13 Going On 30 fame). I don't even know what a Mark Ruffalo version of a face mask is, but I don't question this. I use this once a week or so, and hide behind doors after I've put it on my face so I can jump out and scare Alman, who still doesn't understand what a face mask is, what it is for, and why I put green gunk on my face.
I have now revealed all my secrets. Also, and this is totally Murphy's Law now, isn't it, but I started this post in the afternoon and now it is evening and I am convinced I am getting a zit on my chin.
-_________________-
