Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Ramadhan List

Things I Have Been Occupying Myself With During Ramadhan In a Desperate and Increasingly Futile Attempt to Not Think About Food During the Day

1. Books

I now have four books left before I finish Terry Pratchett's Discworld series (which was also my goal for 2012, so I am apparently ahead of schedule on this). 

But what will I do after that?! What if he passes away soon (I'm not being unrealistically morbid, he has Alzheimers and strongly supports assisted suicide) and I belatedly realise that I should have taken my time reading them instead of whizzing through like a madwoman on a mission? What if I never read another good book again?!

There is something strangely comforting about always knowing what the step (book) in your journey (book list) is. It's the kind of comfort that you take for granted right up until you graduate college and realize you have no idea what to do next. 


1a) Examples Why I Will Miss Terry Pratchett:
  • “Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” 
  • “Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.” 
  • “There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass! Who's been pinching my beer?"
  • “Mr Horsefry was a youngish man, not simply running to fat but vaulting, leaping and diving towards obesity. He had acquired at thirty an impressive selection of chins, and now they wobbled with angry pride.*  
*It is wrong to judge by appearances. Despite his expression, which was that of a piglet having a bright idea, and his mode of speech, which might put you in mind of a small, breathless, neurotic but ridiculously expensive dog, Mr Horsefry might well have been a kind, generous and pious man. In the same way, the man climbing out of your window in a stripy jumper, a mask and a great hurry might merely be lost on the way to a fancy-dress party, and the man in the wig and robes at the focus of the courtroom might only be a transvestite who wandered in out of the rain. Snap judgements can be so unfair.

Just reading random quotes like that makes me want to roll around the floor being highly amused, if not laughing.

2. Doing Research For My New Apartment &
3. Looking At Recipes Online


This is going to sound crazy, but for a good few months I completely and totally forgot that getting married would also mean living with Alman (like JUST with! Only us! No housemates!) in a new apartment. Which also means that I can decorate the entire house, as opposed to just one room! That I will truly be lord and master of my own kitchen, the part of the house that Alman probably cares the least about decorating but that I care about the most (along with the bedrooms, bathrooms, living room and dining room)! It means I can have a ginormous wardrobe and dressing area, and I will magically become super organized with my clothing and various accessories that are currently strewn about my bedroom in various boxes, nooks, crannies and piles! I will magically become super diligent about doing dishes, will colour coordinate my currently-not-bought-yet kitchenware, and finally put up my cupcake posters in the kitchen! This almost more exciting than doing honeymoon research, which I got bored of after a while.

I also seem to be addicted to looking at recipes online. Everything looks amazing when you're hungry, and even the most minutely detailed complicated recipes seem like they would be worth the effort when they probably aren't to a normal, non-starving food-crazed person.
If you are also so inclined to look at photos of furniture and food, I recommend Apartment 24

4. Deciding Where to Break Fast

Somewhat related to #3. Entails researching restaurants online and storing their phone numbers on my berry so I can make quick calls to reserve tables in case of emergencies. For someone who doesn't plan dinner ahead during the rest of the year, this behaviour is highly unusual and manifests only during this month.

5. Writing On This Blog

I really should get back to work now.