Saturday, April 23, 2011

Whipped cream and a side of apple cake; Antipodean

Apparently Antipodean, new cute little cafe in Bangsar, has amazing coffee. I wouldn't know, similar to the way in which I don't know how to properly pronounce Antipodean (because of this, Goosey and I put different em-PHA-ses on the different syl-LA-bles at alternate times when pronouncing Antipodean, because, law of averages, we must be getting it right at least one of the times: "Do you want to eat at AN-tipodean?" "Hmm An-TI-podean, what would I have there?" "The Anti-PO-dean breakfast set?" "That sounds promising, Antipo-DE-an it is." "Jom, Antipode-AN!").

Coffee is a drug, and I treat it as such, by only having it when I need it, and not for pleasure. (I didn't say coffee was a RECREATIONAL drug. Those, you would have for pleasure, when you most certainly do NOT need it.)

I know a lot about coffee because I am not a morning person, and require hot, bitter, liquid caffeine to wake my brain up in the a.m. I am also not an after-lunch person, because not being a morning person means you're a night person, which thus means that you probably stayed up late the night before, didn't get enough sleep, and will start to wilt by lunch. This past week has required me to wake up at 7am every morning (thanks a lot, training) and I've been more dependent than usual on coffee.

I also know a lot about drugs because the Goose has finally managed to persuade me to start watching The Wire which is a gritty police show about the war on drugs, or, as Goosey calls it, The Greatest TV Show Ever. My taste in TV shows tends to run towards the more humorous (Community!) or entertaining yet emotional (Grey's Anatomy) or materialistic but dealing with issues I can identify with (Sex and the City, always a classic, even though I started watching it when I was neither having sex nor in a city nor mature enough to identify with any of the issues), and it was difficult to get into at first (I do not understand gang slang at ALL) and shockingly real (total lack of stereotypically good looking Hollywood stars, everyone is normal looking. Which is ironically not normal at all for an American TV show) but... I kinda like it. Also I am now sort of an expert on inner city drug trade gang dynamics.






To cut a superfluous story short, I didn't have coffee at Antipodean, and had apple cake with a generous serving of my recreational drug of choice, whipped cream. Gives me intense pleasure and I definitely don't need it, but you can (metaphorically) pry my love for whipped cream from my cold dead heart after you gun me down in a drug related The Wire-type shooting.