Thursday, August 5, 2010

A Mango; My Desk

Am too nauseous, ill and queasy to look at pictures of fatty foods.

This is nobody's fault but my own because I didn't leave enough time to have dinner before going out last night, because I took a nap in the evening and as the boyfriend unfortunately knows, naps in the evening are the Mr Hyde catalyst to my normal Dr Jekyll state, because I love sleep, hate waking up, and especially hate being woken up to get ready and go out because that just seems like climbing-Mount-Everest-like unnecessary effort to sleepy Iman Hyde when the alternative would be stay in bed status quo, so I snapped at the boyfriend (he is very long-suffering) every time he tried to wake me up, and then finally woke up totally cranky, and then spent far too long getting ready because in my cranky Hyde state I was convinced I looked like a hideous monkey who would be turned away from Zouk, and had to be reassured by the boyfriend that I was not hideous and could I just find something to wear because I probably would be turned away from Zouk if I didn't put some, any kind of, clothes on, and then by the time we got to where we were supposed to be, the event was at full house capacity and we couldn't leave it to grab a bite to eat and now I have a splitting headache because I didn't eat dinner and stayed out too late on a weeknight.

The moral of the story is I should not take evening naps. Will I heed this moral? Of course not, evening naps are totally delicious and rejuvenating, and I am always eventually convinced that I am not a hideous monkey. But the point is I know what the moral is.

So no food, but I found the sweetest smelling mango on my desk today. Which is totally appropriate because I'm in the middle of Midnight's Children, which features a protagonist with a giant nose and superb sense of smell, as well as copious amounts of mango chutney. I will very much enjoy eating this mango while reading this book when I feel brave enough to face food again.